Friday, August 22, 2008

The Dark Dark Knight

Dark. Really dark. It's 2:40 in the morning. I've showered and am watching the U.S. Men's Indoor Volleyball team try to not choke away its semi-final match against the Russian Federation. The Russians just served out of bounds. Maybe they'll choke away their comeback. Either way I'm still wired from watching the latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight, for the second time, this time in IMAX.

This was the first feature-length movie I've seen in IMAX. Normally the only movies I see on an IMAX screen are the nature and dinosaur shorts that they show at history and science museums. After seeing a midnight show of The Dark Knight when it first opened, I told myself that I would see it again on IMAX. I expected good things and I wasn't disappointed. The screen was huge, the shots were vibrant, the Joker was even more demonic.

Most people agree, The Dark Knight is a fantastic movie, easily the best comic book movie ever and a great action movie to boot. Most people also agree that Heath Ledger dominates the movie with his original, organic, searing, scene-strangling performance. The push for Academy Award recognition for his role is well-deserved, posthumous or not. In fact, I'd say it's mandatory. He is the role. Never does he stray from his Frankenstein-esque creation.

There are a few people, however, who have relentlessly probed for faults. There are faults. Nothing is perfect. The most common objections include:

1. Maggie Gyllenhaal is not that attractive.
2. Christian Bale's voice as Batman is overdone.
3. It goes on for too long.
4. There's not enough nudity.

Sorry, number 4 is my objection, not a common one.

Are these warranted objections? Not enough to derail the highest grossest opening weekend movie of all time.

I know I just introduced the Haiku Review with my last post. Maybe it's too soon to produce another one. Maybe another one will dilute the uniqueness and appeal of the review. Maybe it's already played out. Well, so be it. This is a great movie. I'm still awake at 3 in the morning and the U.S. Men's Indoor Volleyball team came through in the clutch and won the fifth and final set, 15-13, in thrilling fashion, so I owe it to give you whatever creative juices I can summon. With no further ado, on to the Haiku Review:

Can't wait for sequel.
Great movie, but it's sad that
Heath Ledger is Dead.

Actually, I don't want to end on such a depressing note, and since this was the second time I've seen The Dark Knight, how about one more haiku to send you on your way:

Reminds me of Heat:
Bank robbery, trucks and guns.
Maggie G., really?

Jared

No comments: